With spring making our lawns green again and the sun warming the air, it’s finally time to stop heating our homes and to give our systems some well-deserved maintenance. By preparing our furnaces and HVAC systems for this new period, we can significantly prolong the lives of our units and save money in the long run. When furnaces are concerned, there are several easy steps you can take to keep your system in top shape for years to come!
In order to get the best out of your heating system, you should frequently check your units and carry out simple maintenance tasks that will help you avoid serious damage and unnecessary repairs.
1. Tighten all the electrical connections because sometimes malfunctions can be avoided by simply fixing the basics.
2. Clean or change the air filters because they can make your system use more energy than necessary.
3. Clean the drains of your system to avoid possible water damage due to overflowing.
4. Check the controls of your system and the thermostat to make sure your system shuts off when you want.
5. Grease the moveable parts of your furnace to reduce the possibility of friction and subsequent damage.
Depending on the way you use and care for your heating system, it can last up to 20 years! However, different factors can take a toll on your unit and force you to consider buying a new furnace. Since it takes time to choose a new unit, find the right contractor, and gather the funds necessary for replacing an old furnace, we are sometimes reluctant to take the plunge. That is why it is useful to know which signs you need to pay attention to when inspecting your current system.
1. The energy bills have been increasing lately despite all your efforts to reduce them.
2. The furnace has been breaking down frequently.
3. The thermostat is not a reliable indicator of the temperature in your home anymore.
4. The furnace keeps making strange noises you cannot identify.
If your heating system needs quality spring maintenance or you are considering an upgrade, contact us at TOTAL COMFORT Heating and Cooling and we will help you keep your home in perfect shape.